Beauty School 101- Foundation Application

by MakeupByKaylena on 11:11 AM


Hey Chicas,

Today I wanted to share a few tips with you on everyday foundation application, and show you my current daily foundation routine, and how I go about applying my foundation.

These are all basic tips to help you with preping your face for foundations, different types I use for different occasions, and how to get a flawless finish when applying them!




Cleanse and Exfoliate: Cleansing and exfoliating your skin is a must before applying foundation, you want a nice clean canvas to start applying your foundation with! I recommed cleasing your face at least twice a day. Once in the morning and once at night. In the morning I use a light microderm cleanser, like Philosophy's The Microdelivery Exfoliating Wash, to slough off dead skin cells and dry patches you may have to prepare the face for makeup. This will also help to remove all the excess sebum that your face produces at night, it will help your foundation adhere better to your skin and will help it last all day! For night time cleansing I recommed trying an oil based cleanser to break down the makeup and get it all off your face! I use MAC's Cleanse Off Oil and I use a light facial wash like Dr. Brandts No More Pores Cleanser, and about 3 times a week I use my Pretika Sonic Dermabrasian Face Brush.



Moisurizing: I use a total of 3 moisutrizers before I apply my primers and makeup including a moisutrizing gel, shine control lotion and an eye cream. I use a combination because I have oily skin, and I use moisurizers that are geared towards my skintype. It is so important to do some research on what skintype you have and what moisturizers to use that will benefit your skin! Because I have oily skin I can recommend the one moisturizer I currently use which is, Clinque Dramatically Different Moistrurizing Gel. I use gel because it is a better fit for us girls with oily skin. While gels are moisturizing they are not as moisturizing as lotions can be that are geared towards normal to dry skin types, and we don't need the extra moisture on our oily faces. If you have oily skin I recommend looking into gels or serums as a part of your daytime moisturizing routine, and stay away from lotion based moisturizers because they are too heavy of a moisutrizer for oily skintypes. I also use a Boots product from their expert line called, Boots Expert Shine Control Lotion. Although is is a lotion, it if very lightweight and I use this sparingly mixed into my moisutrizer to give me a semi-matte finish after moisturizing. This was a impluse purchase, and I've been trying this product for only a couple weeks, and so far so good! I also use an eye cream for the delicate skin in the under-eye area. For this I use and organic cream by Bare Escentuals called, RareMineral Active Triple Treatment Eye Cream. This does wonders for my under eye area, filling in fine lines, brightening dark circles, and making the eye area smooth for the application of concealer. This is an important step for making me look awake, fresh and making my concealer glide on with ease and stay in place throughout the day.



Priming: Priming is an important step for your skin before applying foundation. I have found, for me anyways, it is especially important for my oily skin! I usually vary between 3 different primers, each helpful in so many ways. Lately I have been using two different primers together, and I like the combonation of the two when mixed together on my skin. I have acquired using a new product from MAC, that came out with a limited edition collectio, which I hear this particular product has now become a part of their permanent line, that product is MAC Prep + Prime Skin Refined Zone. Again this product is a light, oil-free emulsion that helps cloak visible pores while controlling oil and shine and dries instantly to create an invisible, long-lasting natural matte finish. This product is ideal for the T-zone, which is a troublesome area for me. I use this product along with Dr. Brandts No More Pores Pore Refiner, and this products helps out my skin tremendously and I would recommend this to anyone with large pores and oily skin. Dr. Brandt pores no more pore refiner smoothes and evens the skin's texture, providing a matte finish with or without makeup. Its infusions of microspheres and flaxseed effectively shrink pores, absorb oil, and keep shine at bay and makes an excellent makeup primer, this products appears similar to a tinted moisturizer but when applied to the face it's barely pigments and fills in every imperfection to perfection! I also use MAC Matte, A matte-ifying cream that acts like a powder. This matte creme adds a sheer, no-shine matte texture in one smooth layer. I use it as a primer before makeup applications but it can be used on made-up skin.

Types of Founadtions: For us oily skintypes picking out the right type of foundation is another key element in getting a flawless foundation application. As a general rule of thumb I try to stick with these rules when buying foundations: oil-free foundations, matte formulations, and foundations formulated for oily skin types. I try to stay away from foundations with the words: glow, sheer, and minerlized because these tend to slide off my skin in a matter of hours. Here are just a few of the foundations I would recommend to anyone with oily skin:

  • MAC Studio Fix Fluid
  • Makeup Forever Mat Velvet+
  • Revlon Colorstay/Photoready
  • bareMinerals SPF 15 Matte

A few I haven't tried yet that I want to try are:

  • Nars Sheer Matte
  • Tarte Smooth Operator SPF 20
  • MAC Face and Body

If you have tried any of the ones I mentioned wanting to try, let me know I'd like to hear your thoughts!



Application: There are a few ways I apply my foundation. It depends on how much time I have and the sanitation of my tools. If I haven't cleaned a brush that week, I won't use it until I clean it. I use 2 brushes and sometimes but, rarely I use my fingers and if I do I make sure my hands are sanitized before applying! The 2 brushes I use the most are a duo fibre stippling brush like the MAC 187, or I use a typical paddle foundation brush like the MAC 190, and which one I use varies on time and cleanliness. If I'm running low on time and need to be out the door, I usually grab the 190 because its is less time to stipple and blend out the product. When I use a 190 I apply it in a criss-cross motion, and big sweeps across the face and I'm done. Using a brush like a duo fibre 187 take a little bit more time to stipple on and blend into the skin. Both give a great flawless finish if you apply them properly. I always like to set my foundation with a powder, either a lightly colored powder like a MAC Studio Fix Powder, MAC Minerlized Skinfinsh Natural, or a translucent powder like MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder, the step of a setting powder is a must to finishing up my daily face routine!


 
 
Here is my Current Foundation Routine Tutorial, please watch!
 
 
 
 
I hope this helped you guys out and gave you a better insight to how I prep my face and apply my foundation.
 
Thanks for stopping by!
 
 
1 Response to 'Beauty School 101- Foundation Application'
  1. roxy
    http://makeupbykaylena.blogspot.com/2010/05/beauty-school-101-foundation.html?showComment=1272911985299#c2020230003655400007'> May 3, 2010 at 1:39 PM
    * [Reply to comment] *

    Thanks for the tutorial!! I really want to try out Clinique's DDMG as my face gets really oily in the summer but dry randomly.

    For foundation wise, i love MUFE's HD foundation and would love to try the nars sheer glow.

    Roxy
    http://roxybeautyblog.blogspot.com/

     

Post a Comment

Archives

Contact Me

Name:
Email Address: